Tuesday, July 14, 2015

New Sweatshop Boys 7"!

After 20 years of doing what I do, I should have reviewed a band from Israel before today. But for whatever reason, Sweatshop Boys are the first Israeli band I've ever written about. I'm pretty sure they won't be the last! I've been hearing very good things about the state of the Israeli garage/punk scene. And if Sweatshop Boys are any indication, it seems all that talk is right on the money! Always Polite, Never Happy is the band's latest 7". And if you're a fan of the bands I typically tout on this blog, Sweatshop Boys will be right up your alley. This is a straight-up killer band - whipping out the kind of punchy, melodic sound I always go for. "No Pity In The City" brings to mind numerous Dirtnap Records standouts of recent years - splitting the difference between tuneful powerpop/punk and racing garage punk. I love the passion and feeling in the vocals. And all in all, this track is a total ripper. Hearing this song, I have to surmise that Sweatshop Boys are an absolute blast when they play live. That drummer is a beast! "Special Mood" and "Try Hard" are two more top quality shots of aggressive melodic punk, and then "Slow Dive" saves the best for last. It's a classic sounding punk rock anthem that will have you on your feet and pumping your fist like a maniac. Good luck getting that chorus out of your head! I dig the poppier '77 punk style sound, and the lyrics remind us of the futility of trying to control every aspect of our lives.

Sweatshop Boys play catchy punk rock that's fun to listen to and also lyrically profound. This is a band that has a lot to say about life and the human experience. But at the same time, its music will make you want to jump around and enjoy yourself. I'm somewhat ashamed that the band's excellent LP The Great Depression escaped my detection back in 2013. I highly recommend picking it up if you like what you hear from Always Polite, Never Happy. This is definitely one of the better up-and-coming bands in the world of garage/punk/powerpop. Sorry I'm late to the party on these guys!



-L.R.

https://sweatshopboyspunk.bandcamp.com/album/always-polite-never-happy 
https://www.facebook.com/sweatshopboyspunk

No comments: